Tuesday, January 8, 2013
I'm not saying these are super healthy but I'm telling myself they had to be better than fast food AND they were pretty yummy. So here you go: Mocha Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins!
1/2 C warm water
1 T instant coffee
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C milk
1/2 C oil (or melted butter)
1 1/2 C flour
1/3 C brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C chocolate chips
Mix the coffee into the warm water to dissolve, then add the other wet ingredients to mix. Don't add the egg to the coffee water when it's still hot or you'll scramble your egg!!
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then add the wet to the dry, stirring just to combine.
Bake in lined or greased muffin tin - makes 12
350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes
- I used white whole wheat flour, I like the nuttiness and heartier consistency it gives these
- I might try to cut the oil in this recipe to a 1/3 or a 1/4 C next time, it just seemed like a lot of oil but they were moist as a result
- you could leave the nuts out completely
- we have one of the coffee/sugar grinder's from Trader Joe's so I gave each muffin a grind to fancy them up, totally optional
- my husband (who is a coffee drinker) wanted a more pronounced coffee flavor in these, I (who am not a coffee drinker) liked the mellow mocha flavor in this recipe which is just to say throw more instant coffee in if you like the flavor of it :-)
Linking up with Debbie at A Quilter's Table for Tuesday at the Table!