Wednesday, January 30, 2013
I did it, I did it, I did it - HOORAY!
Pink Castle Fabrics - have you seen her sale section? Amazing. I bought 5 yards and had about a third of a yard extra. I was thinking a fun striped binding but with all this quilt has going on I think it really just wants a solid binding - probably blue if my child has any say.
- I sewed together all my strip sets and then tubes, then cut them all, ironed and pinned them into sets. This step-by-step process keep me organized and focused and I'll do it this way again.
- Next time I'll use a smaller stitch length as I'm sewing the strips together so that they don't come apart as they get unpicked and sewn together.
- I tried to use a light/dark pattern for my strips (roughly) and in the end I found the most important thing to me was having one really dark (or different) value strip to be the center of each block.
- Stop worrying about how fast or slow you're going - just keep working and it will get done.
- I will be making more of these! The feeling of exhilaration I got from seeing it all put together was amazing. Plus it really is so beautiful, not perfect but still gorgeous. A good life lesson, yes?
You can find the original tutorial here on Quiltville plus a gazillion pictures on Instagram under the hash tag #scrappytripalong :-) Thanks to Brenda of Pink Castle and Katy from I'm A Ginger Monkey for starting this wonderful madness.
Now I am going to go eat a brownie and put my feet up!